Nate Harrison Grade

Kenneth Weaver

My wife and I hiked Nate Harrison Grade and nearby trails yesterday (10/17) in Palomar Mountain State Park
and added yet another Lewis's Woodpecker to the growing list.  We also observed a somewhat late Pacific-
slope Flycatcher and heard, but did not see, a vocal Olive-sided Flycatcher (anything else sound like an
Olive-sided?).  Both are summer residents in the area.

Fox Sparrows were common in the wild lilac regrowth along the grade.  Six were heard only, but all 20
individuals observed were "Sooty" birds, the brown-colored group of subspecies that breed in the Pacific
Northwest/coastal south Alaska.

Ken Weaver
Fallbrook
gnatcatcher@...