Topics

Mountain Bluebirds ; Carlsbad, Batiquitos, East, 15 DEC 2020

Tito Gonzalez

Surprised to see two apparent MOUNTAIN BLUEBIRDS this morning, 15 DEC 2020 in the ranch field northeast of Batiquitos Lagoon trail. If you take the trail east from eastern parking lot across from Spoonbill and head east, the field is north of trail on the other side of fence. They moved around a bit so depending on how close they are to the fence, a scope could be useful. They appeared to be female rufous types. I probably won’t have time to download photos until later today but wanted to get the word out, since not sure how long they will stay.  Although, the habitat is good for this species so hopefully the will stay a while. This appears to be a new location for this species in the county, as I don’t see any reports in Ebird or SD Atlas. Nice 5MR birds.  Also, WHITE-WINGED SCOTER continued in last couple of days in the Western Basin of the Lagoon, including report from  Gretchen N. yesterday.

Tito Gonzalez

Carlsbad, CA

Tito Gonzalez

I added photos to ebird report.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S77516676

Tito Gonzalez
Carlsbad, CA

Geoff Veith

Mountain Bluebirds located as per Tito’s original directions in horse pasture NE of lagoon, east of Spoonbill and Batiquitos parking lot.

Geoff Veith

Solana Beach.