Topics

More Black Scoters, 11/21

Matt Sadowski <matt.sadowski@...>

I did a seawatch off Pt. La Jolla mid-morning. The scoter flight was decent and overwhelming at times due to the fact that most were hugging the shoreline and would fly all the way into the cove and and then suddenly appear at close range inside the kelp. One giant flock of ~200 was actually flying over the rocks and catching the attention of tourists. Gary, with your new setup you would have been able to get some killer photos. I managed to pull out three female-type Black Scoters from these flocks (two in one flock and a single in another) and I'm wondering what else I missed. The only other things of note were two getting late S-bound Elegant Terns. I'll post some very distant docu-shots of seaducks from the past few days later.

Partial list with some rough estimates below:
Brant - 20
N. Pintail - 1
Green-winged Teal - 8
scaup sp. 2