Longspurs on Fiesta Island, and Chestnut-sided Warbler

Lisa Ruby

Hi,

Sorry for not posting this earlier. Along with Ter Hurst, John Bruin and
the Christensens, saw all three Longspurs-the male and female
Chestnut-sided, and the Thick-billed at the Fiesta Island Dog run this
morning. They were all together a ways south of the large eucalyptus
trees. Not all that easy to spot with all of the greenery that has
popped up. Thanks to those who got us on them. My photos run from about
8:40 am until around 9:00 am.

We then went looking for the Grace's Warbler at Vacation Isle and came
up empty. Did see one Black-throated Gray with euc-face, and a couple of
Townsend's, one of which was a very bright handsome male. Ter and I were
there from 9:30 am until around 11:45 am.

After that we tried for the Chesnut-sided Warbler over at the UCSD
medical complex in La Jolla. Found it pretty quickly around 1:00 pm at
the location previously mentioned, which is the northwest corner of
Athena Circle and Medical Center Drive. It was active and all over the
place, including in the eucs, in the Pride of Madeira plants and
sometimes in the ground under the Pride of Madeira. It went across the
street a few times, but came back after not too long. Somewhat easy to
pick out from the Yellow-rumpeds by it's very bright white underside and
it's quick, hyper movements. It was still there an hour after we first
saw it. Kudos to those who got great photos of it. Not an easy bird to
track with a camera.

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

--
Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

Lisa Ruby

Forgot to say that Ter spotted the Red-breasted Nuthatch at Vacation
Isle, closer to the south corner. It was in a pine at the east end of
the Model Yacht Pond.

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs