Lewis's Woodpecker

Nancy Christensen

Gary Nunn reported a Lewis’s Woodpecker in the Cuyamaca area yesterday, and I refound it today. These have been in very short supply this year, so I am certain this is of interest. The bird was not immediately apparent, so I sat on a rock and just waited. About 8;30 it began actively hawking for insects near the small pond. If you look at google maps, there is a pond right next to Japutul Valley road – this is NOT the correct pond – you want the small cattle pond you can see on the satellite view.

This is not a commonly birded location (not yet a hotspot), so here are directions: Park & Ride Lot #29 on Japatul Valley Rd, right off of Highway 8. Cross the road and go thru gate. Follow road to broken cattle ramps. Turn north (left) on cattle tracks. Cross stream on broken concrete collapsed bridge. Bear to the right around stand of trees and then turn north. Follow cow paths to rise overlooking small pond. I used google maps on satellite view to find this pond – cow trails wander all over. It is roughly a half mile from parking lot to pond.                  32°49'44" N 116°37'10" W

Checklist: https://ebird.org/checklist/S82629091

Nancy Christensen

Ramona

dmichaelray@...

Lewis Woodpecker continued this morning, seen at approximately 10:30am.