Inland misc: swallows and finches

Eitan Altman

Nothing too exotic to report on, but for those Violet-green Swallow fans (you know who you are) there was a massive push today. I scanned Lake Murray for a minute this morning and could tell numbers were way up, and returning this evening with the wind and overcast there were easily 150+ swirling with 500+ Tree Swallows all over the lake. Recently Trees have comprised ~90%+ of the massive swallow flock at the lake, but today it was perhaps 60-65% at most with 25-30% Violet-green. Also rising numbers of Cliff and NRW, with 10-15 Barn sprinkled in. There could easily be 1000+ swallows currently.

Also of note, Harry Griffen Park is carpeted with little yellow finches. There’s a good 50+ Lawrence’s, most feeding in the grass west of the dog park in a tight group. There are also 100+ Pine Siskins; numbers difficult to estimate because many of them are foraging in the tall eucs and pines throughout the park. But if you’re familiar with their vocalizations, nearly anywhere close to trees you can hear several dozen, and every time I paused to inspect an active tree I could find 10-20 without too much effort foraging with the assemblage of finches. It wouldn’t surprise me if a more thorough inspection yielded an estimate of 200-300+.

Eitan Altman
San Carlos