ID question on bird from Del Mar Public Works yesterday

Lisa Ruby

Hi,

I photographed a bird in difficult light at the Del Mar Public Works
area late yesterday, and can't decide what it was.  It was close to the
ground foraging in an area where there were some Common Yellowthroats,
so when I photographed it I thought it was probably a female Common
Yellowthroat, but wasn't sure. When I looked at the photos when I got
home the bill looked too big for a Yellowthroat. I drew a blank last
night, but am now wondering if it could have been a female Painted
Bunting. Determining all of the coloring from the photo is difficult,
and it was hard when I saw it, which is why I photographed it. The
overall shape and what can be seen of the color seems like a possible
fit, but it does look possible that the belly is too light. I considered
a young Yellow-breasted Chat, but from what I see of markings and color
that doesn't seem right. Can't come up with anything else so far to
consider. Maybe it's something obvious I'm missing. Anyone have any
input? Here is the only decent photo:

https://tinyurl.com/d32m5uch <https://tinyurl.com/d32m5uch>

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

--
Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

Lisa Ruby

Hi,

Thanks to all who replied so rapidly. The 100% concensus is that it was
a Painted Bunting. I was told it could have been female or a young male.
If anyone is interested in looking for it, these coordinates should be
close, and is also the general area where a few of us saw the Least
Flycatcher, except the Flycatcher was on the building parking lot side
of the trail in the two small blooming trees. Looking at other
Flycatcher eBird posts, seems that bird was moving all around that
general area, on both sides of the trail.

32°58'11.2"N 117°15'56.1"W

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs