Topics

Hepatic tanager at Marston House

Caron Andregg

Looking for the summer tanager, I found a hepatic tanager this morning about 9am at the Marston House Gardens in Balboa park.  He was in the big Euc I the garden just northeast of the house (closest to).  Clear views, not too high up.  Dark red with gray wash on back and wings, black wing tips.  Gray (dusky) auriculars distinct. Stout gray bill. Brightest red on throat and undertail coverts.  Call a single ascending "wheep!"

Also RC Kinglet, Townsend’s W, Anna’s, Selasporous hummer, Cal Towhee, black phoebe, and many, many Yellow-rumps.  Bird of the day was definitely the Hepatic.

Caron Andregg

Hillcrest