Topics

Good birding on the San Diego Whale Watcher today

Tom Baxter

It was a good crowd onboard the 12:00 noon trip this afternoon out of Mission Bay, but the birding was pretty enjoyable. In addition to good numbers of Pacific White-sided Dolphin, Common Dolphin and 4 Gray Whales, there were close views of many seabirds.

30-40 BLACK-VENTED SHEARWATER

2 SOOTY SHEARWATER (so long as they were not Short-tailed........ I'm fine with going with Sooty but I wouldn't know any better)

1 BROWN BOOBY seen briefly but well (this was my personal highlight although I sadly missed my photo op)

1 very distant Booby sp. of the 'all brown' variety. The good birds always have to be the hard ones I guess.

1 CASSIN'S AUKLET

2 BONAPARTE'S GULL

15 or so RED PHALAROPE

50 or so PACIFIC LOON & 1 possible Immature RED-THROATED LOON

Good birding,
Tom Baxter
Cape May, NJ

--