"Frazar's" American Oystercatcher, or hybrid, La Jolla, 14 May 2021

Geoff Veith

American (ish) Oystpercater here  (32.8183498, -117.2754378) Now at 5/14 2:49 pm.

On May 14, 2021, at 2:20 PM, Nancy Christensen <nancy.r.christensen@...> wrote:

Info with date and time would be appreciated.

Nancy Christensen

Ramona

From: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io <SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io> On Behalf Of Geoff Veith
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 2:09 PM
To: SanDiegoRegionBirding <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] "Frazar's" American Oystercatcher, or hybrid, La Jolla, 13 May 2021

The American Oystercatcher was at the rock off Bird Rock Ave La Jolla, and just flew north about 3-5 blocks with a black oystercatcher.  It landed on the rocks on the shore.

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 9:06 PM Gary Nunn <garybnunn@...> wrote:

I happened to be at La Jolla late this afternoon, while my son was at swim practice, sitting just south of the museum along the shoreline glassing the ocean. Only had binoculars with me and about 5:30 pm heard an oystercatcher call and saw what looked like a "frazari" American Oystercatcher flying south with three Black Oystercatchers.  It was close to me and flight was slow as the group of four birds looked to stop on the rocky shoreline below me.  They stopped briefly a bit south but were soon flushed by walkers before I could get over to them.  I thought it looked identical in flight to the bird in Matt Sadowski/Jim Pawlicki checklist here https://ebird.org/checklist/S85134999 but hard to be certain without photographs. After dropping my son back home I returned with a camera and searched from "Hospital Beach" all the way around to Goldfish Point.  No luck.  I could only find two Black Oystercatchers back over at Goldfish Point.

I heard a bit later from Dan Jehl that an American x Black Oystercatcher was actually reported at 1 pm today in eBird seen at the same location https://ebird.org/checklist/S88012041

There is a black-and-white oystercatcher in the area! I am not 100% sure of its phenotype but the group of four plus two more later seems to add up to the six total oystercatchers seen earlier in April by others.

--

Gary Nunn
Pacific Beach