Finch Fiesta

thomasf_h

I just counted 33 Lawrence's Goldfinch at my feeders in my backyard, which is at the ~ NE corner of Mission Bay. We lost one female finch last night to either a cat or an accipiter, but on a bright note I was able to recover the specimen and contribute it to the San Diego Natural History Museum's collection.

I've also had ~4 Pine Siskins, 1 Purple Finch, and 1 American Goldfinch. I posted some photos of the finches to ebird here:

No sign of the Salmonella outbreak seen in Northern California, but I have had a couple of House Finches with avian conjunctivitis. Seemingly those birds have now recovered (or disappeared...). I've been using Microbe-Lift to keep the water clean in the bird bath, and even with the 100 or so birds here it has been doing a great job keeping both the water clear and the birds healthy.

More info on the history of avian conjunctivitis can be found here:

All the best,
Tom Ford-Hutchinson
San Diego, CA

dan jehl

Tom,

Thank you for posting on the salmonella outbreak in finches this year, and for the advice on cleaning feeders. We all love the birds but aren’t always aware of the damage we can do by feeding them. A great year for Lawrence’s Goldfinches in coastal San Diego.

Dan Jehl
San Diego

On Feb 11, 2021, at 3:55 PM, thomasf_h <thomas.fordhut@...> wrote:

[...]

Martha Wild

I bought two of the same feeder so I can clean one while I put up the other.

I had finches last year show up with eye disease. I immediately stopped feeding for about 3 weeks, though I felt bad as it was during nesting season and they were chowing down. It took a long while for the birds to return to the feeder when I put it back up. Hope they found other food sources and their nests didn’t fail. I have read that birds generally don’t rely on just one food source because in the wild there can be different areas that are suddenly rife with food, only to be picked clean after a short time, so they say that birds spend time at other sources and scoping out other places throughout the day as well - hope that’s true

Martha