Female American Redstart at Aviara Resort in Carlsbad

Joni Ciarletta

Hi Everyone,

While searching for the Greater White-fronted Goose this morning at Aviara Resort in Carlsbad, I found a female American Redstart. This was just across the big field near the tennis courts, where there is a pond with a small waterfall. It was foraging in the rocks of the waterfall and nearby bushes. It was a rather drab looking female but as it flitted around, it fanned its tail out to reveal yellow on the sides. It did not sit still or stick around for long. I got distracted looking at another bird and when I turned back to look for it, I could not refind it. Watched for about 30 more minutes and Steve Brad joined me but the bird appeared to have moved on.

Ebird checklist is below:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S87743387

Happy Birding,
Joni Ciarletta