Topics

Dropped pin Long-eared owls

C K Staurovsky

Should go there in high clearance and/or 4WD or AWD. Enter on sandy utilities pole road off of Borrego Valley Rd. 3007 Borrego Valley Rd

Geoffrey L. Rogers

Hi all,

I had at least 30 in that shelterbelt on 22 Dec. 1991. The question is how long are they there?

Geoffrey Rogers

San Diego, CA

From: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io [mailto:SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io] On Behalf Of C K Staurovsky via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, December 20, 2020 5:21 PM
To: SDForumBirds <SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Dropped pin Long-eared owls

Should go there in high clearance and/or 4WD or AWD. Enter on sandy utilities pole road off of Borrego Valley Rd. 3007 Borrego Valley Rd

Robert Theriault

Great find Chris! I must say though that the owls are found on private property, so we cannot advertise where to find birds there. I have received permission from the caretaker for us to go on the property for the CBC.

My sweet talking to let birders in at any time has failed because of theft and vandalism. They had installed a stout metal gate at the entrance, only to have it stolen (presumably for scrap metal), and when they installed new windows into the main building as a start to fix it up, someone smashed all of them. My suggestion that birders have no interest in such activities fell on deaf ears because they are angry. Birders have been confronted and kicked out by the caretaker, who checks the property from time to time.

Bob Theriault / Borrego Springs

On Sunday, December 20, 2020, 05:56:15 PM PST, Geoffrey L. Rogers <rogersgl1952@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I had at least 30 in that shelterbelt on 22 Dec. 1991. The question is how long are they there?

Geoffrey Rogers

San Diego, CA

From: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io [mailto:SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io] On Behalf Of C K Staurovsky via groups.io

Robert Theriault

Hi Geoff / The owls have been found there in the winter off and on for many years. If you are asking how late in the season they stay, that is not really known because of the access issues. Bob

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 02:14:39 PM PST, Robert Theriault via groups.io <rtheriault13@...> wrote:

Great find Chris! I must say though that the owls are found on private property, so we cannot advertise where to find birds there. I have received permission from the caretaker for us to go on the property for the CBC.

My sweet talking to let birders in at any time has failed because of theft and vandalism. They had installed a stout metal gate at the entrance, only to have it stolen (presumably for scrap metal), and when they installed new windows into the main building as a start to fix it up, someone smashed all of them. My suggestion that birders have no interest in such activities fell on deaf ears because they are angry. Birders have been confronted and kicked out by the caretaker, who checks the property from time to time.

On Sunday, December 20, 2020, 05:56:15 PM PST, Geoffrey L. Rogers <rogersgl1952@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Geoffrey Rogers

San Diego, CA

Steve Perry

As an alternative for LEOW I flushed 2 in the mesquite area west of the landfill. They were in the few big trees (tamarisk?). I think this area is open to public. Sorry if it isn’t!
Steve Perry

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 2:22 PM, Robert Theriault via groups.io <rtheriault13@...> wrote:

Hi Geoff / The owls have been found there in the winter off and on for many years. If you are asking how late in the season they stay, that is not really known because of the access issues. Bob

On Tuesday, December 22, 2020, 02:14:39 PM PST, Robert Theriault via groups.io <rtheriault13@...> wrote:

Hi all,

Geoffrey Rogers

San Diego, CA

--
Steve Perry
Solana Beach, CA

Susan Smith

Yes Betty Siegel and I (and earlier with Oz Osborn, and later with others), as CBC counters in the 1990s and 2000s ,   regularly had large groups of LEOWs in certain years, roosting in the tamarisks at this location, which is part of CBC area 8,  including the Old Springs area and Bowen Ranch.  But entrance here has become more problematic here in recent years, as Bob T points out.  And effort has been more concentrated on  capturing thrasher numbers. When Paul Jorgensen was alive, he used to often check closely these tams before the count, which helped immensely.  sue

Susan Smith 
Seiurus Biological  Consulting 
Del Mar, CA 
seiurus@...

-----Original Message-----
To: 'SDForumBirds' <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>; Geoffrey L. Rogers <rogersgl1952@...>
Sent: Tue, Dec 22, 2020 2:22 pm
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Dropped pin Long-eared owls

Hi all,

Geoffrey Rogers

San Diego, CA

?> 

--
Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA

C K Staurovsky

Bob,
I am REALLY sorry I put out that dropped pin post, I should never have done that for a lot of reasons, let alone the private property aspect.  I apologize and would ask the birding community to respect the property owners wishes as well as the owls. Please don't make my mistake worse.

CK Staurovsky
San Diego County

Hi all,

Geoffrey Rogers

San Diego, CA