Topics

Common Grackle in Del Mar

Paul Lehman

I was just sent photos by Sean Buchanan of a Common Grackle mixed in with a flock of cowbirds and Red wingeds at the Del Mar public works building in Del Mar, immediately south of the fairgrounds. Looks like a probable female. Don't know exactly where the flock was but perhaps on the west side of the building where there's the dried up pond with lots of weeds and some cattails or possibly just west of that on the west side of the railroad tracks is a house with feeders that often attracts good numbers of red winged blackbirds so the birds could go there. The photos were up on utility wires and taken around 8:00 a.m. today. This area is immediately south of the San Dieguito Lagoon outflow channel. Obviously the blackbirds could easily wander into the nearby residential areas as well.

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sean Buchanan

Common Grackle location was exactly as Paul guessed - on utility wires just west of the Del Mar public works building.

(and I have no evidence that it was a male, that was just an inadvertent typo!)

Sean

Sean G. Buchanan
+1-858-945-0595

--
Sean G. Buchanan
+1-858-945-0595

Aaron Gyllenhaal

I searched for the Common Grackle from 11:30-2:00 with lots of other birders with no luck. Only got a few Brown-headed Cowbirds and Red-winged Blackbirds, so the flock with the Grackle likely spends the day elsewhere. Hopefully the flock roosts at the public works overnight and is there is the morning. I’ll be there to check at least!

Aaron Gyllenhaal
San Diego, CA