Topics

Clairemont Rec Center - Dusky-capped Flycatcher and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

David Trissel

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker seen and photographed well by two others today at 9:00 in the same tree I saw it on Thursday. It likes a small tree on the east side that is just west of the three large pines that are next to Genessee Avenue. There are some sap lines that it monitors right in the middle of the tree. Exact GPS is here: 32.832483,-117.195272

Dusky-capped Flycatcher was seen at 9:40 in the trees and bushes (very low) just east of the tennis courts. We looked and listened all morning for the call and didn’t hear it; then it dropped out of the tree in front of us (Dave Povey and me) and moved around low in the trees and bushes on the edge of the downslope. It then vocalized but the distinctive plaintive "pee-ur" call is pretty quiet and you probably wouldn’t hear it unless it was within 20-30 yards (or we are old and can’t hear worth a darn). Exact GPS is here: 32.832117,-117.196417

David Trissel
San Diego, CA