Chestnut-sided Warbler, SDSU

Nick Barber

I found a female/imm Chestnut-sided Warbler at SDSU about 745am today. Actively feeding in low branches of a big eucalyptus on the south side of Hardy Memorial Tower. The tree is distinctive, with a thick twisted trunk.

I lost the bird after a few minutes but I think it flew to some flowering eucs along the drive due west of this tree. There's a lot of warbler and bushtit activity in these trees, including ~5 Orange-crowns, at least 2 Townsend's, and a Black-throated Gray.

The Chestnut-sided is entirely light gray below without any brown on the sides that I could see. Clear white eye ring, lime green crown and upperparts. Lots of white in the tail from below.

--
Nicholas A. Barber
Associate Professor, Dept. of Biology