Chestnut-collared Longspur

David Trissel

Thanks to Paul for the impetus to go, once again, and try for the Chestnut-collared Longspur, now that it is in good plumage and probably going to migrate soon. I cannot tell you the number of times since Jan. 1 (sometimes twice in a day) I’ve tried to find this bird, only to see the McCown’s three times without seeing either a Lapland or Chestnut-collared.

Finally, at 3:00, I found the nice-looking Chestnut-collared just north of the aforementioned dirt patch that is here: 32.77166,-117.22447

It was, as mentioned, with the Savannah Sparrows. It has a nice chestnut collar and black belly. As people and dogs came by (nearly on top of it), all the Savannah’s flushed and it just hunkered and froze. Thus, for 30 minutes, it was the only bird in my view and, despite my being about 12 feet away, it just fed and didn’t flush and was still very difficult to keep an eye on while I called John Dumlao and he raced to the spot from his home. He was able to approach very close and get some (hopefully good) photos. I left at around 4:00 and it was still there.

David Trissel
San Diego, CA

On Feb 14, 2021, at 1:42 PM, lehman.paul@... via groups.io <lehman.paul@...> wrote:

On Sunday the 14th, the one Thick-billed (McCown's) and two Chestnut-collared Longpsurs all continued at Fiesta Island--and all near the large bare bare patch in the central-southern section of the dog run. The Thick-billed was with Horned Larks, as usual, and today the Chestnut-collareds were with Savannah Sparrows. It is assumed that these longspurs will depart fairly soon. Also at southeast Mission Bay, the Eastern Phoebe continued along the I-5 fencing, today being several hundred yards south of the Mission Bay Resort hotel, near a large white dumpster. Earlier in the morning, a calm seawatch at La Jolla produced two close-in Sooty Shearwaters together, but nothing else of note.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego