Burrowing Parakeet?

John Walters

I've been reading with interest the recent reports of Burrowing Parakeet seen locally. I consulted my parrot guide, Juniper & Parr's "Parrots: A guide to parrots of the world," but Burrowing Parakeet (or burrowing anything else) is not listed in their index. What is the scientific name of this species?

John Walters

Bonita, CA

johnfwalters5552@gmail.com

dan jehl

John,

I learned this species long ago as a Patagonian Conure (Cyanoliseus patagonus).

A very interesting psittacine that nests in holes in cliffs.
Dan Jehl

On Feb 15, 2021, at 6:23 PM, John Walters <johnfwalters5552@...> wrote:

I've been reading with interest the recent reports of Burrowing Parakeet seen locally. I consulted my parrot guide, Juniper & Parr's "Parrots: A guide to parrots of the world," but Burrowing Parakeet (or burrowing anything else) is not listed in their index. What is the scientific name of this species?

John Walters

Bonita, CA

johnfwalters5552@...

Sally M. Gall

Birds of the World lists Cyanoliseus patagonus as Burrowing Parakeet.

Sally M. Gall
La Jolla

John Walters

Many thanks to the numerous folks who straightened me out on the identity of Burrowing Parakeet. Its formal name is Cyanoliseus patagonus. My parrot reference, Juniper and Parr's "Parrots: A guide to parrots of the world" calls the species "Patagonian Conure;" it gives "Burrowing Parakeet" as a synonym, but that doesn't make the index. I gather "Patagonian Conure" is its name in the pet trade. Thanks especially to Tom Blackman, who sent me a couple of excellent photos he took in Argentina.

John Walters

Bonita, CA

johnfwalters5552@...