Buller's Shearwater, Scripps's, and Craveri's Murrelets offshore July 7, 2021

David Povey

I took a non birder friend offshore in hopes of finding a Blue Whale, Wednesday. No luck on the whale.
A Buller's Shearwater moving north over the San Diego Trough at about 20 nautical miles west of Point Loma.was certainly interesting. This bird is either a rather late spring migrant or somewhat early for fall?
Twenty miles was about the outer limit of today's travel.
Good numbers of Craveri's Murrelets were out over the San Diego Trough.
A solo Scripps's Murrelet there was on the late-ish date side.
Bluefin Tuna are now above the border, and putting on an impressive show. We saw an acre sized, full on foamer and several smaller spots of jumping tuna, all had nice bird feeding flocks associated  ( mostly Elegant Terns, Pink-ft., and Sooty Shearwaters ). All though these, like the tuna, formed quickly, and dispersed just as quickly.
Partial list (offshore only)
Marbled Godwit   1
Red-necked Phalarope  20
Scripps's Murrelet   1
Craveri's Murrelet    14
murrelet sp.  4-6   ( likely SCMU, CRMU, could not eliminate GUMU )
Cassin's Auklet    1
Least Tern   10
Elegant Tern  175
Black Storm-Petrel   35
Ashy Storm-Petrel    3
Pink-footed Shearwater   15
Buller's Shearwater   1
Sooty Shearwater   60
Black-vented Shearwater   150
Brandt's Cormorant    2
Brown Pelican    50

Just a reminder that the Aug. 14th., and Sept. 19 th., Buena Vista Audubon pelagics trips are booked full and have standby lists. The Oct 3rd. is about half full.
I suggest acting soon if you wish to go on the October trip. See details at www.sandiegopelagics.com..then book directly at www.sdwhale.com or you can call Seaforth Landing at 619 224-3383.
The Seaforth Landing also take standbys (within limits) for Aug. and Sept. trips.

Dave Povey
Dulzura