Brown Creeper in Encinitas

Jim Determan

Yesterday my girlfriend, Anna, called me to the kitchen window to ask about a small woodpecker-like bird picking at the trunk of a pine tree. To my surprise, it was a Brown Creeper, definitely a yard bird for me (possibly a county bird, although I used to see them regularly in the San Bernardino Mtns). I have a number of Torrey and Aleppo pines and it hung around for a while flitting from trunk to trunk, mostly foraging low.

I didn't see it today, but I'm hoping it may hang around the area, perhaps long enough to make it into the RSF CBC. I have had a White-breasted Nuthatch hanging around for about a month, but I don't see or hear it daily. I've also had them in other years, and one year had a pair of Red-breasted Nuthatches that hung around for a while.

The only other coaster Brown Creeper I saw reported recently was at the Bird and Butterfly Garden.

Best regards,
Jim