Bronzed cowbird, 4S Ranch sports park

Sean Buchanan

I got an all too brief look at an apparent female-type bronzed cowbird in the fenced-in reed bed on the south side of Dove Creek road opposite house# 15050 (4:10pm Thurs 3/11).

Dark red eye. Uniform grayish brown with subtle bluish iridescence to wings. Thick bill and thick neck giving distinct jizz. It was among redwings and brown-headed cowbirds but quickly dove into reeds and I’ve not seen it since. I’ll try and upload some v. poor photos in eBird. In fenced in reed bed here: (33.0043738, -117.1143648)

Sean Buchanan
Solana Beach

Sean Buchanan

For anyone planning to look for the putative Bronzed Cowbird at 4S Ranch please recognize that it has NOT been definitively identified (at least not by me!). I'd hate for people to spend a lot of time searching only to find it's an odd Brown-headed Cowbird or something. I listed the photos on ebird under Bronzed Cowbird for now to make them easier to find but sadly they are of terrible quality (from a canon powershot zoom). I just now uploaded a couple of additional shots but they may only serve to show how different the same individual can look in still photos! The eye color does not come out as obviously red in the photos as it seemed through binoculars but perhaps the photos are 'truer' and I was mis-lead by the late evening light? Also the throat does look pale in some photos which may be a knock against bronzed?

(note also that the co-ordinates may be a bit off)

Sean Buchanan
Solana Beach

--
Sean G. Buchanan