Blackburnian Warbler and continuing American Redstart at Cottonwood Creek

Paula Theobald

Adding to the list of Blackburnian Warblers in the county this fall is a dull one that we found at Upper Cottonwood Creek this morning. It was high in the trees near the bridge. We refound Peter’s American Redstart near the beginning of the path that goes along the creek bordering the freeway.

We also checked the lower Cottonwood Creek where we saw the MacGillivrays Warbler found by Joe this morning. We had a tantalizing glimpse of a warbler with a thin, broken eye ring, gray head and yellow back before it disappeared into the thick undergrowth of weeds just west of the little wooden bridge. Perhaps it was Peter’s bird from Sunday morning but we couldn’t locate it again or definitely identify it as a Mourning Warbler. There was an immature male COYT in the vicinity that could have been playing tricks on me.

Paula and David Theobald
Oceanside

Gjon Hazard

BLACKBURNIAN and AM REDSTART continued this morning (10/5; 7:20 to 8:00) at Cottonwood Creek Upper.

At first, Peter Ginsberg and I had both birds in a flock of warblers (a warbler flock! This alone is quite noteworthy in this part of North County so far this fall)… anyway, they were at first in the cottonwoods at the north end of the bridge and then the flock disolved, with the Blackburnian flying north, over the playground, into a sycamore. It then flew SW, back into the riparian proper, where we lost it. At that point I left.

Details to be added to eBird later.

-Gjon

--
- - -