Topics

Black-headed Grosbeak: Buddy Todd Park; 25FEB2021

Tito Gonzalez

I observed a BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK this morning, 25FEB2021, at Buddy Todd Park in Oceanside. This bird has not been reported over the winter, which is surprising for a wintering bird since the park is regularly birded. It is also seems unlikely that this is an early migrant since it still several weeks before expected arrival dates (not sure what is Paul’s 50/50 date). I guess it is also possible it spends most of the time outside the park. I spotted and photographed the bird in pepper-like tree across the road from Park at corner of Mesa Dr. and Parnassus Circle by the stop sign. Regardless of origin, it an interesting date for this species. Photos in ebird report:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S82318437

Tito Gonzalez

Carlsbad, CA