Topics

Black and White Booby at LJ Cove and other pelagic birds

dan jehl

This morning I arrived before sunrise at La Jolla Cove for a seawatch. Good numbers of Black-vented Shearwaters were rafting about 3/4 mile offshore, at least 600 on the water and others streaming south. Stan Walens arrived about 6:40 and mentioned that it felt like a good day for a black and white booby. Sure enough, at 7:24 Stan spotted an immature black and white booby flying south. I didn’t get a look at the bill but Stan thought it looked orange at the base. It was in similar plumage to the Nazca Booby that was hanging out at Dana Point recently, perhaps even the same bird.

Also seen were about half a dozen storm-petrels, one definitely an Ashy and the others probably the same. A Sooty Shearwater was seen flying south above the BVSH flock, and both Parasitic and Pomarine Jaegers were harassing the large numbers of Elegant Terns flying north towards the bait boat off Del Mar. A couple of probable Common Terns were sitting on some drifting kelp as well.

Activity slowed by 8:30 so we called it a day.

Dan Jehl
San Diego