Bird Festival Pelagic Trip, Sat. 20 Feb

lehman.paul@verizon.net

Today's, 20 February, San Diego Bird Festival pelagic trip aboard "New Seaforth" was greeted by moderate seas, so a modified route to mostly off La Jolla. We were not able to go as far south or as far offshore as we would have liked, given the onerous weather forecast for winds and seas. Also, given the bumpier seas than we would have liked, alcids were very difficult to spot on the water. Results were as follows:

Surf Scoter: 14

Eared Grebe: 5

Black Turnstone: 1

Surfbird: 7 (continuing on Mission Bay north jetty)

Least Sandpiper: 1

Spotted Sandpiper: 1

Pomarine Jaeger: 1

Scripps's Murrelet: 3

Cassin's Auklet: 2

alcid sp.: 2

Bonaparte's Gull: 20

Heermann's Gull: 35

Mew Gull: 1 (first-cycle individual feeding behind the boat for extended period)

California Gull: 300

Western Gull: 350

Herring Gull: 2

Royal Tern: 8

Pacific Loon: 2

Common Loon: 2

Pink-footed Shearwater: 1 (rare/very rare in winter)

Sooty Shearwater: 2 (rare in winter)

Black-vented Shearwater: 3500

Brown Booby: 3

Brandt's Cormorant: 45

Double-crested Cormorant: 5

Brown Pelican: 80

Great Blue Heron: 13

Great Egret: 12

Snowy Egret: 16

Little Blue Heron: 2

TRICOLORED HERON: 1 (stakeout individual roosting on boats near dock before heading to San Diego River channel)

Black-crowned Night-Heron: 1

--Paul Lehman, Dave Povey, Nancy Christensen, Gary Nunn, Jimmy McMorran, Pete Ginsburg, et al., San Diego