Bikes and Birds, Mission Bay

Paul Chad

Yesterday Thu, I did my (fourth) January bike-bird day around the Mission Bay 'area' [bound by- Pacific Beach Dr on north, I-5 on east, 'old' SeaWorld Dr /channel on south] from 7:00 to 4:30, was joined this year by Bridget Spencer, seeking as many species as we could find.  We turned up 105 species.  Most unexected bird was probably a Cackling Goose Bridget found in the east part of SD River channel.  Other good birds found included- G-C Kinglet and 'Slate-colored' Junco, continuing on Vacation Isle (missed B&W and Grace's Warblers), continuing 1st-winter Glaucous-winged Gull (two?) east and south of SeaWorld, and Hooded Merganser in east channel.  A Pelagic Cormorant was up-close, in the north channel off Hospitality Point.  The Gr W-F Geese pair were a no-show.

Good Birding   :-)

Paul Chad
University City