Apparent Mexican Duck, north end of Lower Otay, 7/29

Matt Sadowski

From the SD Text RBA:
Matt S and I are viewing an apparent returning male Mexican Duck back at the north end of Lower Otay Lake this evening (1930), viewed from here: (32.6464083, -116.9310857). Note the observation of this bird from last year (Aug 2021) is still being reviewed by the California Bird Records Committee as to whether it is acceptable as a pure MEDU.

Be aware that all the male Mallards are in eclipse plumage now, so study up on your MEDU identification!

Some poor dusk photos will be eBirded later. Here's an eBird checklist from last year of presumably the same individual:

Matt Sadowski

Matt Sadowski

Some docu-shots added:
https://ebird.org/checklist/S115996358