American type oystercatchers and miscellaneous

lehman.paul@verizon.net

Thursday morning at 7:00 a.m. John dumlao is reporting TWO American-type Oystercatchers at the La Jolla seawatch site. Don't know if these are the continuing borderline hybrid-type bird or birds that have been around a while or either of them is new or not and cleaner or not.

I am staring at over 4000 Western sandpipers on a drawn-down pond bordering the salt works but have yet to find anything rare, and best is two continuing Common terns. I had my first of season juvenile Wilson's phalaropes here yesterday, and Sean Buchanan had a record early arriving juvenile Red-necked phalarope a couple days ago at San Elijo. Otherwise it seems that juveniles are running perhaps a wee bit late so far.