A Red Tanager at the White-headed Woodpecker spot

Mark Stratton

Today, 5 of us grouped up and went for the woodpecker on palomar Mtn.  Somewhere around 9:45, we saw a red Tanager that will be described like this.  One of us saw wings that looked darkish on a very red body.  Another of us saw the face when it went up in the tree and thought it showed a good bill color and face patch for a Hepatic Tanager.  The 3rd person, saw a bright red bird that they were sure was some sort of Tanager.  The 4th, a Red Bird that they thought really looked like it could of been a Tanager.  Bottom line, there is a Male Tanager, Myself, I think it's more of a Hepatic than a Summer habitat, but here is the info if anyone else goes up there.  On the Weir trail, which branches off of the Doane trail, when you get near the end of the meadow that is on your right, where the White-headed Woodpecker is being seen, you will get to a 4 or 5 foot tall boulder which is difficult to get around.  Anyhow, about 40 to 50 feet before this point, you will see some almost marshy looking grasses off to your right and there is water down there that birds are coming down to including this very interesting looking Tanager.  If anyone goes up there this week, please take a look for this bird.

Mark Stratton
North park

Lisa Ruby

Hi,

I was one of the 5 and the only one who saw all of the red bird when it flew into a pine tree. The whole bird was reddish/orangish and had the gray/brown cheek patch of a Hepatic Tanager. It was the wrong shape and wrong color red for a male Purple Finch, and way too much red on the whole body for a male House Finch. Bill wasn't right for Summer Tanager. I didn't have much doubt it was a male Hepatic Tanager. Unfortunately, just as I picked up the camera it disappeared, so no photos.

Info is in our list for where we found the White-headed Woodpecker today. It was difficult to get on today.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98220989

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

--