San Diego Pelagic – South Polar Skua, Least SP, Townsend's SP, Cook's P, Laysan A, etc., 31 July 2022

Philip Unitt

Dear friends,

If it was wearing an orange band, the Laysan Albatross Gary mentioned was almost certainly from Guadalupe Island. On 16 March of this year, Jami Besecker found a Laysan Albatross dead on South Carlsbad State Beach. Word got to me, and Kim Ferree of the Natural History Museum’s staff kindly recovered the specimen that day for the museum’s collection. The bird had been dead for probably 3 or 4 days—long enough for fly eggs to have hatched in the mouth and decomposition of some of the body to have begun. On its right leg the bird wore an orange band with the code OW2 in white characters. On the left leg it wore an aluminum band with the code GPE 08403 and the e-mail address and phone number of GECI, the Grupo de Ecología y Conservación de Islas, a Mexican conservation nonprofit group based in Ensenada (https://islas.org.mx/). I sent them an e-mail message right away reporting the band numbers but haven’t heard back, and going through a couple of my other Mexican colleagues hasn’t yet got me the details on the bird’s banding either. But since GECI is the group working with the albatrosses on Guadalupe Island the bird clearly came from there.

At GECI’s website you can also read about the cross-fostering of Black-footed Albatross eggs from Midway to incubating Laysan Albatrosses on Guadalupe.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego