Scarlet Tanager continues

David Trissel

The Scarlet Tanager showed up again today at around 5:35pm in the tall eucalyptus above the picnic table. It stayed high up in the tree, seen by m.obs., until at least 6:00 when I left. It did not come down to the drinking fountain between 3:00 and 6:00 today, and may not have come down at all based on info from others.

David Trissel
San Diego, CA

On Aug 3, 2022, at 3:42 PM, lehman.paul@... via groups.io <lehman.paul@...> wrote:

At 3:33 p.m. Wednesday, the male scarlet tanager started calling from the eucalyptus trees right over the picnic table immediately northwest of the fountain, where it has been seen before as well. It was giving single chip notes that are the first note of the typical chip-burr Scarlet call.

Paul Lehman et al., San Diego

lehman.paul@verizon.net

At 3:33 p.m. Wednesday, the male scarlet tanager started calling from the eucalyptus trees right over the picnic table immediately northwest of the fountain, where it has been seen before as well. It was giving single chip notes that are the first note of the typical chip-burr Scarlet call.

Paul Lehman et al., San Diego

lehman.paul@verizon.net

Today, Monday afternoon, Mark Stratton photographed the adult male scarlet tanager returning to drink at the leaky drinking fountain as described in my earlier post today, at Morley Field. He had it between 4:15 and 4:20, but it only stayed about half a minute. It then flew up into the eucalyptus trees immediately to the northwest of the fountain. When originally photographed 8 days ago, it was photoed at about 5:15 p.m. and today we were there for 3 hours starting at dawn and had no luck. So it certainly appears that late afternoon is the time to try. Please give the fountain adequate space so birds can come into it.

Paul Lehman, San Diego