Hybrid duck in S.D. River estuary

Kerry Ross

This afternoon there was an odd hybrid duck at the east end of Old Sea World Dr (last seen upstream of the roadblock) in the San Diego RIver Estuary. To my eye, it appeared to have Northern Pintail influence but I don't know where the barred flanks come from.  The White-faced Whistling-duck has similar flanks but they have a minimum of overlap in their ranges. Anyway, it's just a odity that could be fun to speculate about. A few photos are included in the ebird checklist below.

Keers (as the MAMU says)

Kerry Ross
Bay Park

James Pike

Hi Kerry,

Rather than being a hybrid or a molting young male, I think this bird is most likely an intersex female Northern Pintail. Broad, coarse barring on the flanks seems common to this phenotype.

keers,

Jim Pike
HB