Pacific Golden Plovers at Tijuana River Estuary

dan jehl

This morning, September 11, 2021, at around 10:00 AM I had a pair of Pacific Golden Plovers mixed in with a flock of about 20 Black-bellied Plovers in the ice plant along the side of the Tijuana River Estuary. I parked at the south end of Seacoast Drive and walked to the river mouth without seeing the birds, but on the way back a flock of plovers was visible about 200 yards north of the south end of the seasonal fence. I talked to other birders who had been there earlier without seeing the PAGP. The tide was coming up while I was there, perhaps the incoming tide pushed the plovers from the mud flats to the top of the berm? Or they may have finished feeding and gone to roost at that time, not sure but they weren’t visible for any of us earlier. The McQuades had a single PAGP here on September 5th.

Dan Jehl
San Diego