Preliminary Report- Oceanside CBC, 26 December 2020

Jane Mygatt

Not all areas have reported their findings for Saturday’s Oceanside CBC, but a final report will be available once all the data have been entered. For a brief update, currently we have about 181 species. Unfortunately, we had to cancel Camp Pendleton coverage this year due to COVID-19.

Notable species at this time include: Snow Goose at Batiquitos (Aviara Golf Course), Greater White-fronted Goose (Lake San Marcos), Hooded Mergansers (Aviara Golf Course, Camino Del Lago off Palomar Airport Rd), White-winged Scoter (Batiquitos west basin), Common Goldeneye (Whelan Lake), Costa’s Hummingbird (La Costa, Buena Creek, Batiquitos north of Poinsettia), Wilson’s Snipe (Whelan Lake), Glaucous-winged Gull (Offshore and Batiquitos coast), Pacific and Red-throated Loons (Offshore), Least Bittern (Lake San Marcos), Western Screech-Owl (Buena Vista Park), Hairy Woodpecker (Bonsall), Gray Flycatcher (Bonsall), Hammond’s Flycatcher (Agua Hedionda- south), Ash-throated Flycatcher (Agua Hedionda-south), Tropical Kingbird (Batiquitos- North of Poinsettia), Verdin (Calavera Lake, private horse ranch), Mountain Bluebird (Batiquitos-east horse ranch area), Purple Finch (Buena Vista Park), Fox and Lark Sparrows (East San Marcos), Green-tailed Towhee (Gopher Canyon- north), Bullock’s Oriole (Batiquitos North of Poinsettia), Nashville Warbler (Karl Strauss in Carlsbad), Yellow Warbler (Sewage Treatment Plant north of Buccaneer Park- Oceanside), Wilson’s Warbler (Batiquitos, Leo Carrillo, Palomar College), Summer Tanager (Gopher Canyon- North), Western Tanager (Buena Creek), and Swinhoe’s White-eye (Agua Hedionda- North, Batiquitos North- Seascape Apt).

Thanks to everyone who participated in our CBC. Very special thanks to Peter Ginsburg, Tito Gonzalez, Paul Lehman, and Robert Patton for the extra effort in chasing species and keeping us posted.

From the Oceanside CBC coordinators/compilers,
Tim Burr
JR Kinander
Jane Mygatt