Rancho Santa Fe CBC in San Dieguito Valley

Philip Unitt

Dear friends,

As every year for the last ~25 years, for today’s Rancho Santa Fe CBC I covered the San Dieguito Valley from El Camino Real upstream to Calzada del Bosque. The adult Greater White-fronted Goose and one of the immature Snow Geese were with a small flock of Canada Geese at the northeast corner of the pastures along San Dieguito Road, just south of the Helen Woodward animal shelter. The other immature Snow Goose was with Canada Geese that took flight from the former polo field (now dedicated to soccer) and flew upstream. The field was not overrun with lacrosse players this year, but two women running their dogs off leash sufficed to drive the geese off. A male and a female Hooded Merganser were in the same golf course pond as last year, visible through the fence from the corner of San Dieguito Road and Camino Santa Fe. My total of 3 Vermilion Flycatchers included two males along the fence at the southeast corner of the pastures, opposite the southwest corner of the Morgan Run golf course, while the female was just inside the north fence of the Fairbanks Ranch golf course.

The sad lack of water meant few ducks and no shorebirds in the seasonal wetlands.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego