White-cheeked American wigeon - San Diego River Estuary

lindsay willrick

Hello all,

Came across a white-cheeked American wigeon in the San Diego River just now. More details/photos in my ebird list below. Wondering the significance of the observation, as it’s my first. How often do they show up in the County?

Thanks,

Lindsay Willrick
Golden Hill, San Diego

Steve Perry

Hi Lindsay,
They are quite common, often called Storm Wigeon. I think about 1% of the population show this characteristic. Someone more knowledgeable may have insights into the genetics & geographic distribution of it.
Steve Perry
Solana Beach

--
Steve Perry