Topics

Clark's Nutcracker continues at Agua Dulce, 20 Sep

Barbara

A Clark's Nutcracker was seen and photographed this morning near the pump house at Agua Dulce. I first saw it in flight and later, perched atop a tall tree.

I did not see a second bird that was reported by another couple.

I also found a lost birder who neglected to take the second right as per Nancy's instructions:

"The trailhead is on Wooded Hill Road. At the end of the road is a gate with a parking area and outhouse. Walk past the gate on the road roughly half a mile. Take a dirt fork to the right (still a road). After about a quarter mile there is another fork to the right. Take that and that dirt road will end at the pump house."

On my eBird app, that second right is approximately .14 mi from the first right turn (More like a veering to the right than a sharp 90 degree right turn.).

Barbara Carlson
San Diego

Millie Basden

Peter and I saw the 2 Clark's Nutcrackers at eye level in trees over the creek near the pump house. Both dropped down into the thick vegetation in the creek bottom briefly before flying up to tree tops and eventually leaving the area.

A short distance down the creek a Townsend's Solitaire was perched in a willow.

We will add photos to our eBird list when we get home.

Millie

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM, Barbara via Groups.Io
<barbarac2003@...> wrote:
[...]

Trent R. Stanley

Here's the GPS/Google Maps location for the Agua Dulce Pumphouse.
32°51'25.2"N 116°26'01.6"W
32.857000, -116.433778

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:34 PM Barbara via Groups.Io <barbarac2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

PO BOX 3666
SAN DIEGO CA USA  92163-1666
trent@...
http://www.sdbirder.com

Larry Edwards

As an FYI, there is shorter, more direct path to pump house. Take the trail on the east side of the parking lot, just north of the bathrooms. Keep left at the trail forks, pass through the open meadow-like area, and you will see the pump house through the trees as you proceed.

The "creek" (currently dry) is just beyond and below the pump house.

Larry Edwards
San Diego