Topics

What's the water use project is on Rangeland Road, Ramona, (Tricolored Blackbird breeding Ponds now dry)?

Susan Smith

San Diego birders--I was kind of shocked when I went by Rangeland Road, Ramona today Sep 13 and saw the Tricolored Blackbird breeding pond (and the other larger pond just to the north) dry and reformed, with earth moving equipment and large piping lying around, ready to do some serious plumbing work, perhaps to enhance irrigation to grow grass to feed cattle.  This is Ramona Water District  land and am wondering if they went through the permitting process and if I could find some information on what they plan to do there, and if there is any mitigation planned for the Trikes.  I counted only about 10 Tricoloreds there, mostly near the corral area, where usually there are hundreds.
    If anyone knows about this water use project, could you contact me off the listserve?  Thanks mucho. Sue

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA

--
Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA

Susan Smith

Hi Kelly, thank you for checking about the Rangland Road water project.  Are you saying the two ponds on the plant property have not been affected?  And is the irrigation project to enhance grazing land for the dairy cattle or for some other purpose? This is not clear.  Yes I will contact Ricardo and glad he seemed helpful.