23+ Cook's Petrels including at NINE-MILE BANK, B-f Albatross; seeing a Poorwill

lehman.paul@verizon.net

Today, 24 July, two small boats ventured offshore in San Diego County waters out to the 30-Mile Bank and "The Corner." Highlights included at least 23 Cook's Petrels (most at 30-Mile Bank, and a couple at the Corner), a Black-footed Albatross (30-Mile Bank), a good total of 20+ Leach's Storm-Petrels, 2 Least Storm-Petrels, 8+ Ashies, 10 Craveri's Murrelets, 5 Sabine's Gulls, and 1 Common Tern. On the way back in, our boat had a Cook's Petrel cross the bow (photo'd) at the nw. corner of the NINE-MILE BANK, only 12 nm W of tip of Point Loma! I mention this in case anyone has access to boatage that could get them out to at least that outer edge of the Nine-Mile or the San Diego Trough, and then pray!! There clearly was a northbound movement of Cook's today, including that bird and many of the birds out at the 30-Mile.

In case anyone is interested in possibly SEEING a Common Poorwill, I've had one calling at my apartment complex in Tierrasanta sporadically since April--literally right outside my window--and the current full moon cycle means it is calling a bunch again these last several nights. I can see it (silhouette) flying around just above my roof, calling, but I haven't recently tried to see it on the ground. Anyway, if anyone would like to try to see it, then 8:45-10PM or later has been the best time the past few nights, and the moon will continue to rise later each night. But for now it is close to full, which is what many nightjars like. If interested in more details, contact me privately.

--Paul Lehman, San Diego