Date   
Black-throated Green Warbler residential Hillcrest

Nathan French
 

Black-throated Green Warbler in a pepper tree in south residential Hillcrest.

I heard it in a pepper tree while skating home from birding Balboa Park and Maple Canyon just after 5:30 PM. 

Not sure if it will be there tomorrow, but here are the pics and details: 

28th St Balboa Park

Eric Kallen
 

The Back and White warbler seen the last couple of years has returned to the elms between kiddy land and the restrooms.

Also....
Townsend’s warbler
Audubon’s warbler
OC warbler

Eric Kallen

Tennessee Warbler, San Diego Botanic Garden, October 1, 2018

pnell@sbcglobal.net
 

A Tennessee Warbler was seen on today’s San Diego Botanic Garden monthly bird walk, first spotted by Manolo Turner and well seen by others. It may be the same bird that was reported via eBird on Thursday, September 28, as it was in the same general area. Today it was with a mixed flock of warblers and tanagers in the Torrey pines at the NE edge of the Tropical Rain Forest area. An eBird report will be posted.


Gretchen Nell
Leucadia

Re: Tennessee Warbler, San Diego Botanic Garden, October 1, 2018

Susan Smith
 

Gretchen-great you found a Tennessee!  Eve and I just returned from Ventura, and were wondering if you found some good stuff at the Garden.. And nice Manolo joined the group! Thank you for doing the record keeping. I look forward to getting back into the swing of birding in the county again!  We had a fun time at the conference.  sue

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA 




-----Original Message-----
From: pnell <pnell@...>
To: sandiegoregionbirding <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Oct 1, 2018 2:58 pm
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Tennessee Warbler, San Diego Botanic Garden, October 1, 2018


> A Tennessee Warbler was seen on today’s San Diego Botanic Garden monthly bird walk, first spotted by Manolo Turner and well seen by others. It may be the same bird that was reported via eBird on Thursday, September 28, as it was in the same general area. Today it was with a mixed flock of warblers and tanagers in the Torrey pines at the NE edge of the Tropical Rain Forest area. An eBird report will be posted.
>
>
> Gretchen Nell
> Leucadia





--
Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA

Re: Tennessee Warbler, San Diego Botanic Garden, October 1, 2018

Susan Smith
 

sorry listserve folks ..my last message re this bird was meant for the original poster . DUH, I promise to pay more attention next time. 

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA 




-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Smith via Groups.Io <seiurus@...>
To: pnell <pnell@...>; sandiegoregionbirding <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>
Cc: SanDiegoRegionBirding <SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Oct 1, 2018 3:06 pm
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Tennessee Warbler, San Diego Botanic Garden, October 1, 2018

Gretchen-great you found a Tennessee!  Eve and I just returned from Ventura, and were wondering if you found some good stuff at the Garden.. And nice Manolo joined the group! Thank you for doing the record keeping. I look forward to getting back into the swing of birding in the county again!  We had a fun time at the conference.  sue

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA 




-----Original Message-----
From: pnell <pnell@...>
To: sandiegoregionbirding <sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Oct 1, 2018 2:58 pm
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Tennessee Warbler, San Diego Botanic Garden, October 1, 2018


> A Tennessee Warbler was seen on today’s San Diego Botanic Garden monthly bird walk, first spotted by Manolo Turner and well seen by others. It may be the same bird that was reported via eBird on Thursday, September 28, as it was in the same general area. Today it was with a mixed flock of warblers and tanagers in the Torrey pines at the NE edge of the Tropical Rain Forest area. An eBird report will be posted.
>
>
> Gretchen Nell
> Leucadia





--
Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA

--
Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA

next san elijo monthly bird count monday 8 october

Robert Patton
 

The next San Elijo monthly bird count will be Monday 8 October.  Counts are conducted by volunteers on the second Monday of each month, rain or shine.  Please spread the word or join us if you can (no RSVP required).  Meet at 7:30 am at the north end of Rios Ave in Solana Beach (north from Lomas Santa Fe Dr, west of I-5) to divide into groups to cover different subareas.  A compilation generally follows around noon at the nature center on Manchester Ave (bring your own lunch).

R. Patton
San Diego, CA

Of interest to anyone?

phil Pryde
 

Apologies for this message being slightly off-topic, but this message was received by SDAS.  If anyone might be interested in a little bird educating, please respond individually to Mr. Lietzke. 
Phil Pryde 
San Carlos 

Name David Lietzke
Email david@...
Message Hello, I am interested finding someone to hire as a private guide to teach us a little about birds. Our thought is go through the exhibits at the Zoo and provide a 2 hour tutorial. 
We are open to other suggestions. 
Thanks









Pinyon Jays in Lagunas

Brennan Mulrooney
 

I just received a call from a friend who was looking at and had recorded a flock of Pinyon Jays in the Lagunas off Sunrise Hwy. Location is 32.864817,-116.459668. She describes it as near the ranch house. 

Brennan Mulrooney 


--
Brennan Mulrooney
Santee, CA

Spotted Dove

Eric Kallen
 

Spotted Dove at the bird &butterfly garden. Pics

Eric Kallen

Re: Spotted Dove

Justyn Stahl
 

For what it's worth, this is almost certainly an escapee. Due to the sedentary nature of this species, it seems rather unlikely to have drifted from the dwindling population near Huntington Civic Park in Los Angeles, or from the slightly larger (10-20 individuals?) population on Catalina Island. This species did once breed in San Diego County, but winked out near the turn of the century.  More info in the bird atlas: http://sdplantatlas.org/ge_files/pdf/Spotted%20Dove.pdf

Justyn Stahl
San Clemente Island


On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:23 AM Eric Kallen <eric@...> wrote:
Spotted Dove at the bird &butterfly garden. Pics

Eric Kallen



Villa La Jolla

Jim Roberts GMAIL
 

This morning (10/3/18) at 9 AM a mixed migrant flock was working the elms around the children’s play area at

Villa La Jolla Park.   The best birds in the group were CASSIN ‘S VIREO and BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER.

 

                                        Jim Roberts

                                           University City

American Redstart at FRNC

dan jehl
 

An adult male American Redstart was along the fence line on the south end of the east side of Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery this morning and enjoyed by many birders. Also present were the continuing White-breasted Nuthatches and some very interesting Empids.

Dan Jehl
San Diego

Pinyon jays

Nancy Christensen
 

Just had a flock of Pinyon Jays at the mile 19 pullout along Sunrise Highway. This is were there are portapots, several trails heading off. Flock size 25 minimum, possibly double that.
I had hiked several trails searching for them and was sitting in my car for some lunch when the flock came in. I got some photos and recordings and then the entire flock flew off on the General direction of the Laguna Ranch (this is the pinpoint sent by Brennan this morning). The ranch has an open water tank that can sort of be glimpsed from the south end of Wooded Hills Rd (on the trail map it is called Old Country Road). I was guessing the jays were coming there for water. The ranch can also be seen from Trail 7, but the water tank is not visible.
Specifically for my sighting, they were feeding in some tall pines near the power lines that cross Sunrise Hwy just north of the parking area.

Nancy Christensen
Ramona


A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Chinese Proverb

Bay-breasted Warbler , Ft Rosecrans Natl Cemetery Oct 3

Susan Smith
 

This morning at about 7:45 or so, a Bay-breasted Warbler was seen with a small flock of other warblers feeding in the tall cypress trees near the Bennington Monument on the east side.  This group of birds rapidly dissipated and most seemed to be flying south. During the first couple of hours birding,  quite a few groups of warblers were seen passing overhead over  the east side of the cemetery near the Bennington Mon.  and a little further north, stopping briefly in trees and then moving on, heading south.  The rest of the morning was pretty quiet.   

provisional ebird list is at 
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S48912177

more birds may be added later, or counts adjusted. 

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting
Del Mar, CA 



--
Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological Consulting
Del Mar, CA

Eastern Phoebe at Fort Rosecrans

Aaron Polichar
 

Hi all,

At around 2 PM today, October 3, I observed an Eastern Phoebe at Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery. It was just past the eastern wall just north of Eucalyptus grove. Unfortunately, I only saw it briefly and didn't get a photo.

--
Aaron Polichar
San Diego, CA

Encinitas: Painted Bunting, Blackpoll, N.Waterthrush (10/3/18)

Jimmy McMorran
 

Hi Birders,
In case anybody would like to look this afternoon, the Northern Waterthrush reported by P. Ginsburg continued at upper Cottonwood Creek Park. The lower parcel/extension of Cottonwood Creek Park was a Blackpoll Warbler, and a “green” Painted Bunting that
flew up from vegetation with House Finches and Lesser Goldfinches. The bunting was not cooperative for getting good long looks at, but it is in there.
Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA


--
Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran,
Leucadia, CA

Re: Spotted Dove

Gary Nunn
 

The San Diego Bird Atlas describes reports of two Spotted Doves that "represented wandering individuals rather than resident populations", i.e. found away from their previously recognized centers of population (in Encanto and Spring Valley).

Winter: We noted the Spotted Dove at Rainbow in winter as well as in spring with three on 28 January 1999 (D. C. Seals) and one on 18 February 2000 (K. L. Weaver). Our
two other sightings in fall and winter, of one at Imperial Beach  (V10)  2  November  1998  (P.  Unitt)  and  one  at O’Neill  Lake  (E6)  18  December  1998  (P.  A.  Ginsburg),
represented  wandering  individuals  rather  than  resident populations.

Looking through eBird one can find reports over the years from more remote desert and mountain locations for this species away from their population centers in California.

It appears some degree of regional dispersal is possible.  I am not sure how you would tell this hypothesis from an escapee hypothesis.  But the idea this species is wholly sedentary seems to have some holes in it.

There is also some evidence for small populations in both Tijuana and Ensenada although not sure of current status there.

Gary Nunn,
Pacific Beach


On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:42 AM Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl@...> wrote:
For what it's worth, this is almost certainly an escapee. Due to the sedentary nature of this species, it seems rather unlikely to have drifted from the dwindling population near Huntington Civic Park in Los Angeles, or from the slightly larger (10-20 individuals?) population on Catalina Island. This species did once breed in San Diego County, but winked out near the turn of the century.  More info in the bird atlas: http://sdplantatlas.org/ge_files/pdf/Spotted%20Dove.pdf

Justyn Stahl
San Clemente Island

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:23 AM Eric Kallen <eric@...> wrote:
Spotted Dove at the bird &butterfly garden. Pics

Eric Kallen





--
Gary Nunn
you can find me on twitter,
@garybnunn
San Diego Birding - my blog
garybnunn@...
Mobile: 650-305-0029

Re: Spotted Dove

Thomas Myers
 

About 10 or so years ago there was a small population in south Rosarito, but haven’t really looked much for them there since .....

Thomas Myers
Oceanside 




On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, 6:25 PM, Gary Nunn <garybnunn@...> wrote:

The San Diego Bird Atlas describes reports of two Spotted Doves that "represented wandering individuals rather than resident populations", i.e. found away from their previously recognized centers of population (in Encanto and Spring Valley).

Winter: We noted the Spotted Dove at Rainbow in winter as well as in spring with three on 28 January 1999 (D. C. Seals) and one on 18 February 2000 (K. L. Weaver). Our
two other sightings in fall and winter, of one at Imperial Beach  (V10)  2  November  1998  (P.  Unitt)  and  one  at O’Neill  Lake  (E6)  18  December  1998  (P.  A.  Ginsburg),
represented  wandering  individuals  rather  than  resident populations.

Looking through eBird one can find reports over the years from more remote desert and mountain locations for this species away from their population centers in California.

It appears some degree of regional dispersal is possible.  I am not sure how you would tell this hypothesis from an escapee hypothesis.  But the idea this species is wholly sedentary seems to have some holes in it.

There is also some evidence for small populations in both Tijuana and Ensenada although not sure of current status there.

Gary Nunn,
Pacific Beach

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:42 AM Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl@...> wrote:
For what it's worth, this is almost certainly an escapee. Due to the sedentary nature of this species, it seems rather unlikely to have drifted from the dwindling population near Huntington Civic Park in Los Angeles, or from the slightly larger (10-20 individuals?) population on Catalina Island. This species did once breed in San Diego County, but winked out near the turn of the century.  More info in the bird atlas: http://sdplantatlas.org/ge_files/pdf/Spotted%20Dove.pdf

Justyn Stahl
San Clemente Island

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:23 AM Eric Kallen <eric@...> wrote:
Spotted Dove at the bird &butterfly garden. Pics

Eric Kallen





--
Gary Nunn
you can find me on twitter,
@garybnunn
San Diego Birding - my blog
garybnunn@...
Mobile: 650-305-0029

Re: Spotted Dove

Eric Kallen
 

Thr dove was in excellent feather, with no cage wear seen. 
Eric


On Oct 3, 2018, at 6:26 PM, Gary Nunn <garybnunn@...> wrote:

The San Diego Bird Atlas describes reports of two Spotted Doves that "represented wandering individuals rather than resident populations", i.e. found away from their previously recognized centers of population (in Encanto and Spring Valley).

Winter: We noted the Spotted Dove at Rainbow in winter as well as in spring with three on 28 January 1999 (D. C. Seals) and one on 18 February 2000 (K. L. Weaver). Our
two other sightings in fall and winter, of one at Imperial Beach  (V10)  2  November  1998  (P.  Unitt)  and  one  at O’Neill  Lake  (E6)  18  December  1998  (P.  A.  Ginsburg),
represented  wandering  individuals  rather  than  resident populations.

Looking through eBird one can find reports over the years from more remote desert and mountain locations for this species away from their population centers in California.

It appears some degree of regional dispersal is possible.  I am not sure how you would tell this hypothesis from an escapee hypothesis.  But the idea this species is wholly sedentary seems to have some holes in it.

There is also some evidence for small populations in both Tijuana and Ensenada although not sure of current status there.

Gary Nunn,
Pacific Beach

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:42 AM Justyn Stahl <justyn.stahl@...> wrote:
For what it's worth, this is almost certainly an escapee. Due to the sedentary nature of this species, it seems rather unlikely to have drifted from the dwindling population near Huntington Civic Park in Los Angeles, or from the slightly larger (10-20 individuals?) population on Catalina Island. This species did once breed in San Diego County, but winked out near the turn of the century.  More info in the bird atlas: http://sdplantatlas.org/ge_files/pdf/Spotted%20Dove.pdf

Justyn Stahl
San Clemente Island

On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 8:23 AM Eric Kallen <eric@...> wrote:
Spotted Dove at the bird &butterfly garden. Pics

Eric Kallen





--
Gary Nunn
you can find me on twitter,
@garybnunn
San Diego Birding - my blog
garybnunn@...
Mobile: 650-305-0029

Pinyon Jays

Roger Uzun
 

Is anyone planning on  heading out to look for Pinyon Jays @ Mt Laguna Thursday AM?  If you don't mind meeting up with me send me an email with a time/place to meetup.

I did get a bit of Clark's Nutcraker footage a couple of weeks ago but not much, and I don't have any Pinyon Jay video from anywhere.

-Roger Uzun
Poway CA


Mt Laguna Nutcracker video - https://vimeo.com/292357630

Blue Birds of San Diego Video - https://vimeo.com/293209119