Date   
Scarlet Tanager Ft Rosecrans

Nathan French
 

Scarlet Tanager continues at Ft Rosecrans this morning at 10:15 in the SW corner. Seen with Tom from San Clemente until I recommended we cut our birding short due to the white car and a funeral group arrival.

Nathan French
Hillcrest

Summer Tanager on Point Loma

Sara Baase Mayers
 

On our morning walk today (Nov. 4), Keith spotted a Summer Tanager in the Torrey Pine on Albion St., just north of Dupont. It was mostly yellowish but with some reddish down the center of the front of the body and on the tail, undertail coverts, and head; large pale bill.  It was easy to see as it moved around in the tree, because, unfortunately, this wonderful tree that has held many nice birds, appears to be dead or dying.

======================
Sara Mayers
Point Loma (San Diego)
======================

Re: Scarlet Tanager, Thick-billed Kingbird and Tricolored Heron

Tom Harrison
 

I love San Diego birding. And SD birders. Thanks to Nathan for showing me the Scarlet Tanager at Rosecrans Cemetery this morning (10:15 am). He also gave me excellent directions to find the Thick-billed Kingbird (1:00) in Chula Vista as reported and the Tricolored Heron (2:30) in Sweetwater pond.

Who knows what we’ll find tomorrow?!

Tom Harrison
San Clemente, CA

On Nov 4, 2019, at 10:50 AM, Nathan French <nathanfrenchphotography@...> wrote:

Scarlet Tanager continues at Ft Rosecrans this morning at 10:15 in the SW corner. Seen with Tom from San Clemente until I recommended we cut our birding short due to the white car and a funeral group arrival.

Nathan French
Hillcrest

NAS North Island Access

Teale Fristoe
 

Hello San Diego birders,

I'm going to be visiting over the next few days, and I noticed that some folks have reported Chestnut-collared Longspurs at NAS North Island south facing beach/Heritage Park. Unfortunately, the ebird hotspot (https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2066077) mentions that this has restricted access. Is there any way for a mild mannered out of towner like myself to access this area, or should I turn my attention elsewhere?

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to running into some of you in the field soon!
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

Black scoter, lesser black-backed, new vermilion

lehman.paul@verizon.net
 

On Tuesday the 5th, a dtake black scoter was with surf scoters on San Diego Bay looking North from Grand Caribe in Coronado Cays a long distance. Could well be additional birds but the heat distortion was getting bad. The usual general area where this species has wintered for quite a few years now. The returning adult lesser black-backed gull was on the beach at the base of the jetty in front of the hotel del Coronado in late morning. There is a new Vermilion flycatcher present, this one at the very south end of Nestor Park. A female has wintered at this very spot for quite a few years but the bird today is clearly an immature male with red already appearing all over the crown and on the belly. Elsewhere in the park there were two Western tanagers.

Paul Lehman & Barbara Carlson, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

Summer Tanager Balboa Park

Nathan French
 

Female twitter calling just south of Chess Club (32.7281131, -117.1587295)


Nathan French
Hillcrest 

Pacific Wren - Palomar State Park

Nancy Christensen
 

This morning I found a Pacific Wren on the Doane Valley Nature Trail in Palomar State Park. Very vocally calling with its double chip note, occasionally adding in a scold. It was at Post 9, which is about 50 yards from where it was last November, so presumably a returning bird. It responded well to kissing in the same double note pattern it was using (kiss-kiss). In fact it responded so well that I was unable to focus my camera on the bird as it danced around my feet! I actually thought I was hearing a second PAWR in the same area, but did not see it.  33°20'27" N 116°54'12" W

 

In addition, while I was trying to get a record photo of the wren, a small group of Golden-crowned Kinglets passed by overhead in the canopy. I didn’t even try for a photo since I was on the wren, and then I could not refind the kinglets later. There was also a group of RB Nuthatches that were moving the same direction – upstream towards Doane Pond, but I am not sure they were traveling together in a mixed flock or not.

 

At the entrance to the State Park, as I was paying my entrance fee, two Cassin’s Finches were seen.

 

Checklist with bad photos and a recording: https://ebird.org/checklist/S61207829

 

Nancy Christensen

Ramona

 

Re: NAS North Island Access

Teale Fristoe
 

Thanks to the many folks who replied to my inquiry. I'm a bit disappointed that the longspurs are out of my reach, but I'm mostly excited to explore the many other promising looking hotspots around town.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

On Mon, Nov 4, 2019, 9:02 PM Teale Fristoe <fristoe@...> wrote:
Hello San Diego birders,

I'm going to be visiting over the next few days, and I noticed that some folks have reported Chestnut-collared Longspurs at NAS North Island south facing beach/Heritage Park. Unfortunately, the ebird hotspot (https://ebird.org/hotspot/L2066077) mentions that this has restricted access. Is there any way for a mild mannered out of towner like myself to access this area, or should I turn my attention elsewhere?

Thanks for your help, and I look forward to running into some of you in the field soon!
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

American Redstart Encinitas Still present 11/5

Roger Uzun
 

The brightly colored male American Redstart is still present and foraging near the bridge at the lower Cottonwood Park area of Encinitas this morning, 11/5 around 8:30-9:30 AM.  Not at all wary but very active and always in bad light or obscured by branches/brush.  A very colorful male which I think is not that common for the county.


-Roger Uzun
Poway CA.

next san elijo monthly bird count monday 11 november

Robert Patton
 

The next San Elijo monthly bird count will be Monday 11 November.  Counts are conducted by volunteers on the second Monday of each month, rain or shine.  Please spread the word or join us if you can (no RSVP required).  Meet at 7:30 am at the north end of Rios Ave in Solana Beach (north from Lomas Santa Fe Dr, west of I-5) to divide into groups to cover different subareas.  A compilation generally follows around noon at the nature center on Manchester Ave (bring your own lunch).
Thanks,
Robert Patton
San Diego, CA

Lucy's Warbler in South San Diego

lehman.paul@verizon.net
 

Wednesday morning the 6th, there is a Lucy's warbler in Southcrest Community Park in South San Diego near the west end of the park. There is a parking lot at that end of the park at the corner of 40th and Alpha. The bir started out on the lawn immediately to the east of the parking lot in lerpy eucalyptus but continued East and I last saw it in the oaks and jacarandas around the parking lot just to the east next to the rec center. There are plenty of places for this bird to go, so it could take a while to refined if it doesn't have a couple favorite trees...

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

Golden-crowned Kinglet TRV

Nathan French
 

Seen and heard just now at Bird and Butterfly Garden approximately here: (32.5542455, -117.0848621)

Nathan French
Hillcrest

Scissor-tailed flycatcher at Poggi Creek greenbelt

Teale Fristoe
 

Hello,

While admiring the think-billed kingbird this morning I had a brief view of a scissor-tailed flycatcher flying over the housing west of the valley. I was unable to relocate the bird despite searching for some time but maybe someone else will have better luck.

Happy birding,
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

Re: Lucy's Warbler in South San Diego

Nancy Christensen
 

Four of us refound the Lucy at 10:30 in the tipu trees at the NE corner of the parking lot Paul described.

Nancy Christensen
Ramona


A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Chinese Proverb

On Nov 6, 2019, at 8:01 AM, lehman.paul@... via Groups.Io <lehman.paul@...> wrote:



Wednesday morning the 6th, there is a Lucy's warbler in Southcrest Community Park in South San Diego near the west end of the park. There is a parking lot at that end of the park at the corner of 40th and Alpha. The bir started out on the lawn immediately to the east of the parking lot in lerpy eucalyptus but continued East and I last saw it in the oaks and jacarandas around the parking lot just to the east next to the rec center. There are plenty of places for this bird to go, so it could take a while to refined if it doesn't have a couple favorite trees...

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

Black-and-white Warbler in Point Loma

Sara Baase Mayers
 

As far as I can tell, this is a new one: working up the trunk of a tree on Gage Dr. near Dupont this morning (Nov. 6); black and white stripes all over, white throat.

======================
Sara Mayers
Point Loma (San Diego)
======================

Re: Lucy's Warbler in South San Diego

Nancy Christensen
 

I want to make sure I got the directions right. Parking lot on corner of Alpha and 40th. The tipu trees are right against Alpha street. Some YRWA appear to be chasing the bird around. Looks are brief, photos are poor. 

Nancy Christensen
Ramona


A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Chinese Proverb

On Nov 6, 2019, at 10:41 AM, Nancy Christensen via Groups.Io <nancy.r.christensen@...> wrote:

Four of us refound the Lucy at 10:30 in the tipu trees at the NE corner of the parking lot Paul described.

Nancy Christensen
Ramona


A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.
Chinese Proverb

On Nov 6, 2019, at 8:01 AM, lehman.paul@... via Groups.Io <lehman.paul@...> wrote:



Wednesday morning the 6th, there is a Lucy's warbler in Southcrest Community Park in South San Diego near the west end of the park. There is a parking lot at that end of the park at the corner of 40th and Alpha. The bir started out on the lawn immediately to the east of the parking lot in lerpy eucalyptus but continued East and I last saw it in the oaks and jacarandas around the parking lot just to the east next to the rec center. There are plenty of places for this bird to go, so it could take a while to refined if it doesn't have a couple favorite trees...

Paul Lehman, San Diego

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail
Get the new AOL app: mail.mobile.aol.com

American Redstart Continues 11/6

Janice Nordenberg
 

At about 8:00 this morning I found the American Redstart in the open in the small leafless white barked tree near the central bridge in the south section of Cottonwood Creek Park. Very accommodating for a change.

Jan Nordenberg
San Diego

Mountain plover at

Teale Fristoe
 

Hello again,

Following up on Gary Nunn's advice, I decided to spend my afternoon wandering around the dog run on Fiesta Island looking for Chestnut-collared longspurs. So far I'm unsuccessful, but I did stumbled upon a lone mountain plover around 32.770857,-117.225345. It's about the same size as the many nearby killdeer but it's plain brown. I'll post photos to my ebird checklist once I get back to a computer.

What a Wednesday!
Teale Fristoe
Berkeley

Late Solitary Sandpiper

Paula Theobald
 

A late Solitary Sandpiper was found by me and Nicole Koeltzow today at Lake Henshaw on the shoreline along Cow Beach. There was also a flock of 9 Canvasbacks on the lake that may be of interest. 

Paula Theobald
Oceanside

It’s a magical world, Hobbes, ol’ buddy…Let’s go exploring!

Re: Lucy's Warbler in South San Diego

Jeff Spaulding
 

I had the Lucy's Warbler in the eucalyptus next to the entrance of the parking lot at approximately 10:00. I had a brief look at a Tennessee Warbler at about 09:30 & could not relocate it. It was in the large Tipu Tree along Alpha St southeast of the parking lot. I think that is where the Lucy's was yesterday.
--
Jeff Spaulding
San Diego, CA