FRNC today - 9/27 - Tropical Kingbird, Green-tailed Towhee, and Red-breasted Nuthatches

Lisa Ruby

Spent 4.5 hours birding FRNC this morning with Ter Hurst and others on and off. Seemed somewhat quiet, but patience and perseverance got us plenty of birds. Dealt with some light rain for a while.

Around noon or so we had a Tropical Kingbird in the northeast corner. It sat on headstones on the east side in front of the wall between sections 200 and 260 and also flew to the west side of the road a few times landing in both a large Chinese Elm (closer to Cabrillo Memorial Drive, not the trees by the inside road), and  a pine on the west side of the inside road. Eventually disappeared over the wall and into the open space. I may have seen it dive over the wall when we first got to that area. At least two other birders saw it.

Just after 11:00 we had a Green-tailed Towhee sitting on the barbed wire outside the low concrete wall on the east side, south of the caretaker's residence. It was about halfway down the steep hill. It bolted as we got closer and flew down the hill, away from the cemetery.

There were two Red-breasted Nuthatches on the west side. I hope I'm remembering this correctly, I think they were partway up the hill going north out of the dip. Vocal for a short time.

Also had what I believe was a Swainson's Thrush just outside the chain link fence on the east portion of the southeast section. Have a poor photo.

List with some photos:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S60156777

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs