Encinitas Dickcissel (9/22/19)

Jimmy McMorran

Hi Birders,
Thrilled that not only myself, but my daughter and wife also heard a Dickcissel calling it’s extremely unique flight/call note as it flew somewhat low overhead. We did not ID the bird by its plumage but we all clearly saw the passerine flying over as it called a couple times. I wish it would have stopped at my feeders but it did not.
On a separate note, an American Goldfinch was also heard flying over my place today. Certainly not a rarity. But very rare for my location and only my third record in six or so years at my location.
I’m now currently out of town, but the Del Mar Public Works area may be worth a good scouring. I’ll be doing that in the next few days.
Good Birding,
Jimmy McMorran
Leucadia, CA

--