       At least I saw my FOS butter-butt, and a female selasphorus.   Whoopee.
       Happy birding to all, and remember, you never saw a bird that didn’t see you first.
Phil

On Sep 4, 2019, at 7:34 PM, Geoff Rogers <rogersgl1952@...> wrote:

Yes, all 3 are up there: chipmunk, ground squirrel, and owl.

Geoffrey Rogers
San Diego, CA

From: Bruce Rideout [mailto:BRideout@...]
Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 7:20 PM
To: phil Pryde <PhilPinSD@...>
Cc: Geoff Rogers <rogersgl1952@...>
Subject: Re: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Saw-whet Owl?

Phil: It turned out the recording I was thinking of is a ground squirrel, which still sounds very similar, just slightly higher pitched. In my experience, these squirrel and chipmunk calls can carry quite a distance and pick up reverberations along the way that make them sound very un-chipmunk like.

Bruce

On Sep 4, 2019, at 9:39 AM, phil Pryde <PhilPinSD@...> wrote:

Hi Geoff,
       My “one second” interval was entirely a spur of the moment estimate - the calls were very quickly repeated and could easily have been less than a second.  But I won’t rule out chipmunk, either, except to say that the call seemed to be coming from a fair distance away, and if it was a chipmunk he would have needed a good set of lungs.  Do you have a recording of whatever sp. of chipmunk would have been up there?
      Best, Phil

On Sep 4, 2019, at 9:27 AM, Geoff Rogers <rogersgl1952@...> wrote:

Phil and all,

Not ruling saw-whet owl out but Birds of North America Online says calling speed is “about 2 per second.” I can vouch that an agitated saw-whet will briefly produce notes even faster. I think a speed nearing a second apart would be more in the Merriam’s Chipmunk range.

Geoffrey Rogers
San Diego, CA