From: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io [mailto:SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io] On Behalf Of phil Pryde
Sent: Tuesday, September 3, 2019 10:17 PM
To: sandiegoregionbirding@groups.io
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Saw-whet Owl?

This morning (Tues.), while looking for the mythological Red Crossbill (aka the toilet paper bird), I heard at a distance an incessant call that seemed to meet the requirements for a Saw-whet Owl.  The loud sharp notes, a whistled sup, sup, sup . . . , were about a second apart, and went on and on and on . . .

The Bird Atlas notes that it calls “rarely even at midday”.  I’d estimate it was about 9:30 a.m. when I heard it while at the toilet paper site. That would be near the southernmost portion of its regular range.

Just wondering, if any one else who was up there looking for easily spotted wildlife (such as Bigfoot, Jimmy Hoffa, and purported Crossbills) also heard anything they suspected of being a Saw-whet Owl?