Re: Saw-whet Owl?

phil Pryde

     Sorry about the ambiguity in my email of last evening - I was mainly reaching out to those who had already gone to “the spot” to look for the Crossbills, which is about 1 1/2 miles down the Agua Dulce trail, as described in Gary Nunn’s email of Sept. 2, and other earlier reports.
     For those who haven’t tried to see the Crossbills, the joke was that some considerate person had tied a string of (yes, unused) toilet paper to a fallen branch to mark the spot where the Crossibills had been most reliably seen (except yesterday).  I didn’t see a Bigfoot, either.
    Phil

On Sep 3, 2019, at 10:19 PM, KRIS MCMILLAN <krismcmillan@...> wrote:

You’re a million steps ahead of me, but, I’m wondering WHERE were you when you heard all these magical mysterious sounds?

On Sep 3, 2019, at 10:16 PM, phil Pryde <PhilPinSD@...> wrote:

This morning (Tues.), while looking for the mythological Red Crossbill (aka the toilet paper bird), I heard at a distance an incessant call that seemed to meet the requirements for a Saw-whet Owl.  The loud sharp notes, a whistled sup, sup, sup . . . , were about a second apart, and went on and on and on . . .

The Bird Atlas notes that it calls “rarely even at midday”.  I’d estimate it was about 9:30 a.m. when I heard it while at the toilet paper site. That would be near the southernmost portion of its regular range.

Just wondering, if any one else who was up there looking for easily spotted wildlife (such as Bigfoot, Jimmy Hoffa, and purported Crossbills) also heard anything they suspected of being a Saw-whet Owl?