Update on Red Crossbills at Agua Dulce Creek

Lisa Ruby

Sorry for the rather verbose post. Hopefully someone will find at least some of it helpful.

Went out to Agua Dulce today to look for the Red Crossbills with Terry Hurst and Charles Jackson. Ran into a couple from the east coast who joined us, we picked up two other birders along the way,  and later met up with Jan Nordenberg and Paula Theobold at the Crossbill location. After looking carefully through my photos I think we may have seen 5 Crossbills. Links to photos at the bottom of this post. To see them all you need to go to my site. Couldn't fit them all in eBird.

The location to find them has moved from where Nancy Christensen described. The puddle in that spot has dried up. Today they were probably where I think Tuck found the one he saw yesterday. Upstream (south) from the Y junction. There is still water where we saw them and the Y junction is not visible from there. There are two good sized logs that span the creek in the new spot, and the piece of toilet paper that was used as a marker has now been moved to this new location. It's close to the ground on the creek side. See Nancy's post for directions on getting to the Y junction. New location is just a little before the Y becomes visible. Nancy's post: https://tinyurl.com/yy9v383e

Two Crossbills were first seen around 9:30 a.m. by two of the group, while the rest of us waited at Nancy's location. The rest of us then moved to the upstream location around 9:45 am. The first two (now I think three) we saw after 9:45 came down by the creek between 10:09 and 10:11. I think I may have been the only one who saw (and photographed) one of these birds. We saw two fly up into some trees on the other side of the trail. At about 10:30 two more came down.

It was quite birdy overall along the trails. We did not take the main way down to the pump house. We took a narrow trail through the meadow. We had a total of 6 Cassin's Vireos, several Wilson's, a few Nashville, a few Townsend's, a couple of Black-throated Gray, a couple of Hermit, and a few Orange-crowned Warblers. There were multiple Brown Creepers. I saw two, the rest were heard. We had a few Western Tanagers and a few Black-headed Grosbeaks. The area is crawling with Mountain Chickadees and Pygmy and White-breasted Nuthatches. We also had what appeared to be a slightly leucistic Rufous/Allen's Hummingbird. It has a white forehead.

eBird list with photos, but not all the Crossbill photos are here:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59438584

Rest of the Crossbill photos with time photographed in title here:
https://tinyurl.com/y4ego2w9

Lisa Ruby
Sabre Springs

--