Sea Watch La Jolla and Del Mar (Penasquitos Lagoon mouth) July 31, 2019

Susan Smith

Only birds of note this morning at La Jolla Point were 2 boobies (too far out to ID, probably Brown Boobies), 2 Common Murres, about 15 Black Storm-petrels, scads of  Black-vented Shearwaters and Brandt's Cormorants,  and at nearby Harbor Seal Haulout, two adult Wandering Tattlers close-in and in breeding plumage.  I think I saw the whale-watch boat far west in the mist near the horizon, but saw no LAAL.   Off  Penasquitos Lagoon mouth there were three basic-plumaged Common Loons, feeding pretty close in around the river mouth.  Complete eBird lists  and numbers at

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58591144   Childrens Beach/Harbor sea haulout
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S58592950  Penasquitos Lagoon mouth

Susan Smith
Seiurus Biological  Consulting