Mississippi Kite, Dairy Mart Ponds, June 1

Stan Walens

I went to the Dairy Mart Ponds for 2-1/2 hours this afternoon with some other birders, to look for the Indigo Bunting that Sia McGown photographed there yesterday. No luck. [Tom Benson was leaving just as I arrived and he had not seen or heard it either.]
We knew only that Sia had reported it from somewhere around the south pond, but there’s a lot of territory that falls under that label and a lot of perfectly good habitat nearby.

However, as we walked along the southwest side of the main pond at about 2:40, we flushed an adult Mississippi Kite from the same tree that one, an immature, used 4 years ago.
The bird quickly headed up into the air, caught a thermal and rose to spectacular heights before flying right across the disc of the sun, at which point, blinded, we lost it. I’m still seeing afterimages.

No idea whether it was migrating or will hang around, so if you go to Dairy Mart, keep an eye out for it.

Stan Walens, San Diego
June 1, 2019; 3:45 pm