Re: Hudsonian Godwit Tuesday May 28th

Barbara

The Hudsonian Godwit (HUGO) was originally re-sighted, but now on the beach, yesterday around mid-day by Ross Christie. On a gambit, Ross rode his bike along Mission Beach looking for the HUGO. He thought he had a 5-10% chance of re-finding it. And the rest is history!

Today birders knew to try for it along Mission Beach because Ross braved the hordes of Homo sapiens on Memorial Day!

The original finder of the HUGO, back at Robb Field, was a fellow named Daniel Hite, from the Phoenix area.

Barbara Carlson
San Diego

On Tuesday, May 28, 2019, 4:08:57 PM PDT, Geoffrey L. Rogers <rogersgl1952@...> wrote:

Sorry about the unfinished and unsigned email. Also thanks to those who gave me extra directions. The problem is this bird moves around a lot. I finally got good looks at around 2:25 near the end of San Jose but only because there were two long-lens photographers near it. When I left around 3:00 there were 7-8 birders there. I also tried Robb Field in between the two Mission Beach locations but it was not there—yet. The beach and boardwalk were busy but not super-crowded. The two birds were not skittish but wary of passersby. The subject bird appeared to be hanging out and foraging with a Marbled Godwit and in back light the size difference makes them instantly separable. They eventually flew south off the end of Santa Clara.

I know who found the bird at Robb Field but how did someone find it later on the beach?

Geoff Rogers

San Diego, CA

From: Timothy Burr <tburr@...>

Date: 5/28/19 11:33 AM (GMT-08:00)

To: SanDiegoRegionBirding@groups.io

Concerning the HUGO. Street location is west end of San Jose place
Tim Burr
Poway

with Aloha